9 Reasons Why You Should Go to SFMOMA This Weekend
By: Dan Rosenbaum
Come out to SFMOMA this weekend one final time before they close the doors. Wait, what? Let's back it up. The good news: SFMOMA is expanding, adding an additional 235,000 square feet that will join the existing Mario Botta-designed building. The bad news: SFMOMA will be closed for two and half years.
They are closing the doors on June 2nd to start the expansion. Here are nine reasons to go to the SFMOMA this weekend for one last time and celebrate everything SFMOMA.
1. Museum admission is free to all, Thursday, May 30, through Sunday, June 2.
2. There's an expanded model of the expansion on display.
3. SFMOMA will be giving out limited-edition On The Go Tote Bags. RSVP here.
4. The Making of... Meet Bay Area makers and artists featured in The Making Of…, a community collaboration by award-winning radio producers The Kitchen Sisters. More information.
5. SFMOMA will be open for more 24 hours starting at 10:00 AM on June 1.
6. Final screening of Christian Marclay: The Clock at 10 AM on June 1. What is the Clock?
7. Countdown Celebration Kickoff Party, Thursday 6pm – 9:45pm. Gaming lounge, Music by DJ Kelly, Semi Precious Weapons
8. Food trucks and Art. Off-the-Grid will be joining the Countdown Celebration on June 2nd at 11:00 AM.
9. Farewell Processional Sunday, June 2, 5:30 pm begins in rooftop continues through atrium.
For a whole rundown on the countdown celebration SFMOMA has planned, check out the schedule.
More Recent Articlesview all
Visitors may choose their own experience and move about musicians by foot or bike with over 800 professional, student and amateur musicians as they take to Crissy field.
Season 36 glows with the luscious sound of the San Francisco Gay Men’s Chorus and is packed with exciting new music, dazzling world-premiere performances and the brightest holiday show ever. See the full list of events below and enjoy!
SFMOMA's temporary closure for renovations has forced the museum to get creative about the ways it's exhibiting art. For the next two months, the museum is presenting free installations all over the city from four different 2012 SECA award winners.
Buy one trip to San Francisco and save 30% off a companion fare on your next trip to San Franciso. Book Now.
Save 52% on unlimited cable car rides plus admission to the 5 best attractions with CityPASS.
SFArts.org Download our new iPhone App—it's free!
Conversations On Twitter
Tweets about "#onlyinsf"